No. 46 Cal Poly Women’s Tennis Earns 5-2 Triumph at Loyola Marymount
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – The 46th-ranked Cal Poly women's tennis program remained undefeated during the 2012 spring campaign as the Mustangs, after earning the doubles point for the third time in three spring matches, powered past Loyola Marymount at the LMU Tennis Center on Friday afternoon, 5-2.
Cal Poly (3-0), which has won eight of nine doubles matches during the spring campaign, saw senior Jocelyn Davis and junior Alexa Lee stay perfect at No. 1 by producing an 8-4 triumph against April Bisharat and Miya Jin. Sophomores Jen Cornea (above) and Gabby Gatewood also stayed perfect in 2012 at No. 2 with an 8-2 victory against Elisaveta Pironkova and Reka Rohonyi before Mustang sophomores Ane McPike and Kathryn Webb finalized the sweep at No. 3 by topping Ashley Anderson and Tory Parravi, 8-4.
In singles action, Lee swept past Bisharat at No. 1, 6-4, 6-4, before Cornea recovered to best Jin at No. 2, 6-4, 4-6, 8-6. Davis produced a 6-2, 6-4 win against Anderson at No. 3 before Gatewood suffered a 6-2, 6-1 defeat against Parravi at No. 4. After convincingly defeating Pironkova in the first set at No. 5, Webb fell, 1-6, 6-2, 6-3. McPike, however, capped Cal Poly's triumph at No. 6 with a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Ana Lucia Fuentes.
"Today proved to be a real dogfight for us," first-year head coach Damon Coupe said. "We came out and played disciplined in doubles. We began very strong in singles before they made a push on us. We stepped back a bit, but not all the way. There was a time where one or two points could have changed the outcome of the match, but we dug deep and I'm proud of how we handled ourselves in picking up a road victory."
Cal Poly caps its two-match road trip with an 11 a.m. bout at No. 4 UCLA on Saturday, Feb. 4.
Cal Poly 5, Loyola Marymount 2
LMU Tennis Center (Los Angeles)
Feb. 3, 2012
1. Lee/Davis (CP) def. Bisharat/Jin (LMU), 8-4
2. Gatewood/Cornea (CP) def. Pironkova/Rohonyi (LMU), 8-2
3. McPike/Webb (CP) def. Anderson/Parravi (LMU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Alexa Lee (CP) def. April Bisharat (LMU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Jen Cornea (CP) def. Miya Jin (LMU), 6-4, 4-6, 8-6
3. Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Ashley Anderson (LMU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Tory Parravi (LMU) def. Gabby Gatewood (CP), 6-2, 6-1
5. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) def. Kathryn Webb (CP), 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Ane McPike (CP) def. Ana Lucia Fuentes (LMU), 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 1, 3, 5, 2