Mustangs Win Big West Conference Championship, Defeat UCSB, 4-3
INDIAN WELLS, Calif. – Cal Poly's Sebastian Bell defeated UC Santa Barbara's Max Glenn in a third-set tiebreaker, propelling the Cal Poly men's team to a 4-3 win and Big West Conference Men's Tennis Championship on Sunday at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
With the win the Mustangs improve to 15-7 and advance to the NCAA Men's Tennis Championship held at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, GA. UC Santa Barbara concludes the regular season 14-10.
The championship came down to the sixth court where Bell lost the first set, 6-4, to Glenn. Down a set, Bell stormed back to dominate the second set 6-1 and setting up the third set showdown.
In the third, Bell broke Glenn late to force the match into a tiebreaker with Bell winning 7-4, securing the set, match and the championship for Cal Poly.
Cal Poly locked up the doubles point on the third court when Jurgen De Jager and Marco Comuzzo combined to defeat Ziad Sultan and Alexander Gryaznov, 8-6. With the point decided, play went unfinished on the second court.
With Cal Poly up 1-0 after doubles play, Dome, ranked 40th in the nation, made quick work on the first court of Forget, 6-3, 6-1.
UCSB came back to tie things up at 2-2 with a wins on the fifth and third courts. Gryaznov defeated Marco Comuzzo on the fifth in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2 while Mbonisi Ndimande defeated Jordan Bridge, 6-3, 6-4, on the third.
Jurgen De Jager gave the Mustangs a 3-2 advantage with an easy win over Ziad Sultan, 6-2, 6-4, on the fourth court.
With UCSB's back against the wall, Recknagel defeated Fawcett on the second court in a three set match. Recknagel won the first set, 6-1, but Fawcett battled back to win the second, 6-4. UCSB player prevailed in the third with a 6-2 win and setting up the showdown on the sixth court for the championship.
The Mustangs will find out their first-round opponent when the NCAA announces the 64-team field on Tuesday, May 1 at 2:30 (PT) on NCAA.COM.
Tennis Match Results
UC Santa Barbara vs Cal Poly
Apr 29, 2012 at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
(Indian Wells, Calif.)
#63 Cal Poly 4, #65 UC Santa Barbara 3
1. #40 Andre Dome (CP) def. #124 Mathieu Forget (UCSB) 6-3, 6-1
2. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Matt Fawcett (CP) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
3. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) def. Jordan Bridge (CP) 6-3, 6-4
4. Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) 6-2, 6-4
5. Alexander Gryaznov (UCSB) def. Marco Comuzzo (CP) 6-4, 6-2
6. Sebastian Bell (CP) def. Max Glenn (UCSB) 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
1. #64 Andre Dome/Matt Fawcett (CP) def. Mathieu Forget/Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 8-2
2. Jordan Bridge/Sebastian Bell (CP) vs. Mbonisi Ndimande/Alex Johnson (UCSB) unfinished
3. Jurgen De Jager/Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Ziad Sultan/Alexander Gryaznov (UCSB) 8-6
UC Santa Barbara 14-10; National ranking #65
Cal Poly 15-7; National ranking #63
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,5,3,4,2,6)