INDIAN WELLS, Calif. – The Cal Poly men's tennis team shutout UC Davis, 4-0, to advance to the finals of the Big West Conference Tournament Championship Match on Sunday against UC Santa Barbara.
With the win the Mustangs improve to 14-7 overall while UC Davis concludes the season 6-16 after upsetting Pacific in the first round of the tournament.
Cal Poly picked up the doubles point to open the match when Andre Dome and Matt Fawcett teamed to defeat Kyle Miller an Hugo Verdi-Fortin, 8-5. Cal Poly secured the point when Jurgen De Jager and Marco Comuzzo combined to defeat Chris Aria and Alec Haley on the third court, 8-4.
The match on the second court was not competed with the point secured.
In singles play, Dome continued his dominance with a straight-set win over Toki Sherbakov, 6-3, 6-0.
Senior Sebastian Bell gave the Mustangs a 3-0 lead with a dominating 6-1, 6-3 win over Josh Albert on the sixth court, 6-1, 6-3.
Comuzzo wrapped up the match for the Mustangs with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Haley on the fifth court, pushing the team into the finals.
Matches on courts two, three and four were not finished with the outcome decided.
Tennis Match Results
UC Davis vs Cal Poly
Apr 28, 2012 at Indian Wells, Calif.
(Indian Wells Tennis Garden)
#63 Cal Poly 4, UC Davis 0
1. #40 Andre Dome (CP) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) 6-3, 6-0
2. Matt Fawcett (CP) vs. Kyle Miller (UCD) unfinished
3. Jordan Bridge (CP) vs. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) unfinished
4. Jurgen De Jager (CP) vs. Chris Aria (UCD) unfinished
5. Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Alec Haley (UCD) 6-2, 6-4
6. Sebastian Bell (CP) def. Josh Albert (UCD) 6-1, 6-3
1. #64 Andre Dome/Matt Fawcett (CP) def. Kyle Miller/Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) 8-5
2. Sebastian Bell/Jordan Bridge (CP) vs. Toki Sherbakov/Josh Albert (UCD) unfinished
3. Jurgen De Jager/Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Chris Aria/Alec Haley (UCD) 8-4
UC Davis 6-16
Cal Poly 14-6; National ranking #63
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,6,5)