SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – The Cal Poly men's tennis team defeated UC Santa Barbara, 4-3, in a Big West Conference tennis match on Saturday for the team's seventh-straight win. With the triumph, Cal Poly improves to 7-3 overall and 2-0 in conference matches while UCSB falls to 7-5 and 2-1 in Big West contests.
In singles play Dome made quick work of Forget, 6-2 and 6-1, on the first court to put the Mustangs up two with Bridge following up on the fourth court with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Greg Scott.
Bouilin got the Gauchos on the board from the fifth court with a 6-4, 2-6 and 6-2 win over De Jager with UCSB picking up wins on both the third and sixth courts to tie the match at 3-3.
Ndimande defeated Comuzzo, 7-5 and 6-4, while Sultan defeated Bell, 6-2 and 6-3.
McPhee secured the match with a 6-4, 6-3 win on the second court over Benjamin Rechnagel.
The Mustangs will return to the courts when they travel to Boise, ID to take on Friday, March 9.
Tennis Match Results
UC Santa Barbara vs Cal Poly
Mar 03, 2012 at San Luis Obispo, Calif.
#53 Cal Poly 4, #50 UC Santa Barbara 3
1. #25 Andre Dome (CP) def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) 6-2, 6-1
2. Brian McPhee (CP) def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3
3. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) def. Marco Comuzzo (CP) 7-5, 6-4
4. Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Greg Scott (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
5. Axel Bouilin (UCSB) def. Jurgen De Jager (CP) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
6. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Sebastian Bell (CP) 6-2, 6-3
1. Andre Dome/Matt Fawcett (CP) def. Mathieu Forget/Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) 8-2
2. Jordan Bridge/Brian McPhee (CP) def. Alexander Gryaznov/Ziad Sultan (UCSB) 8-2
3. Axel Bouilin/Alex Johnson (UCSB) def. Marco Comuzzo/Jurgen De Jager (CP) 8-7
UC Santa Barbara 7-5, 2-1 BWC; National ranking #50
Cal Poly 7-3, 2-0 BWC; National ranking #53
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,5,3,6,2)