SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – The Cal Poly men's tennis swept the UNLV Rebels, 7-0, in a non-conference tennis match on the Mustang Courts Friday afternoon. With the win the Mustangs have won five straight and improve to 5-3 on the season. UNLV falls to 3-7.
The Mustangs entered the match ranked 53rd in the latest ITA polls and did not disappoint in defeating the 63rd-ranked Rebels.
The match opened with doubles play with Andre Dome and Matt Fawcett defeating Alex Bull and Johannes Markel, 8-2, on the second court. For Fawcett it was his first action on the court in nearly 18 months.
Bernard Schoeman and Brian Kenyon defeated Jordan Bridge and Brian McPhee, 8-4, to even the score on the first court with Marco Comuzzo and Jurgen De Jager securing the doubles point on the third court with an 8-4 win.
Singles play opened with Sebastian Bell making quick work of Charlie Alvarado, 6-1, 6-1, on the sixth court while Dome followed with a straight-set win over Rene Ruegamer, 6-2, 6-1, putting the Mustangs up 3-0.
Comuzzo gave the Mustangs a 4-0 advantage and secured the match with a three-set win on the third court over Tamas Batyi. Comuzzo won the first set 6-3, but dropped the second 6-2 before rebounding to win 6-3 in the third.
De Jager picked up a straight-set win over Bernard Schoeman, 6-3, 7-6, on court five with McPhee (court two) and Bridge (court four) winning in three sets.
The Mustangs return to action on Sunday when the team will host UC Davis in Cal Poly's first Big West match of the season at the San Luis Obispo Country Club with first serve set for noon.
Tennis Match Results
UNLV vs Cal Poly
Feb 24, 2012 at San Luis Obispo, Calif.
#53 Cal Poly 7, #63 UNLV 0
1. #22 Andre Dome (CP) def. Rene Ruegamer (UNLV) 6-2, 6-1
2. Brian McPhee (CP) def. Alex Bull (UNLV) 7-6, 3-6, 10-4
3. Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Tamas Batyi (UNLV) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
4. Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Brian Kenyon (UNLV) 7-6, 6-4, 10-7
5. Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Bernard Schoeman (UNLV) 6-3, 7-6
6. Sebastian Bell (CP) def. Charlie Alvarado (UNLV) 6-1, 6-1
1. Bernard Schoeman/Brian Kenyon (UNLV) def. Jordan Bridge/Brian McPhee (CP) 8-4
2. Andre Dome/Matt Fawcett (CP) def. Alex Bull/Johannes Markel (UNLV) 8-2
3. Marco Comuzzo/Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Rene Ruegamer/Tamas Batyi (UNLV) 8-4
UNLV 3-7; National ranking #63
Cal Poly 5-3; National ranking #53
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,3,5,2,4)